THE HISTORY OF DAYLIGHT LODGE

The History of
Daylight Lodge #760
Free & Accepted Masons

At 4 O'clock on Saturday afternoon January 16, 1904 a large crowd assembled in the new Temple located on Chestnut Street between 3rd and 4th, to see Daylight Lodge U.D. set to work. All the lodges in the city, some from the Interior and several from Indiana were represented and the spacious hall was comfortably filled. Grand Master Owen D. Thomas, of Lebanon, was present and was received with the honors befitting his rank.

A lodge of Master Masons was opened by the Grand Master with the following temporary officers: Charles A. Sommervillle, Sr. Warden; H.R. Kendall, Jr. Warden; S. A. Lederman, Sr. Deacon; Z.T. Randolph, Jr. Deacon; Charles A. Dailey, Secretary; and Joseph T. Davidson, Tyler. The invocation at the opening of the lodge was delivered by the Rev. Dr. E. L. Powell.

Past Master J.T. Funk was invited to act as Marshall and thereupon the following officers were installed in ample form: Isaac T. Woodson Jr., Master, David W. Gray, Sr. Warden; Barman Hoeppner, Jr. Warden; Ernest W. Sprague, Sr. Deacon; J. L. Lisle, Jr. Deacon; C. Henry Stege and J.O. Dolfinger, Stewards; Stephen D. Smith, Secretary; John A. Gray, Treasurer; W.B. Gossett, Tyler.

Before relinquishing control of the gavel, Grand Master Thomas Installed Capt. H.B. Grant as Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge.

At the close of the installation ceremonies the Grand Master delivered a brief address in which he spoke earnestly of the duties incumbent upon all true Masons as imposed by their obligation not merely to assist their brethren in need but also to whisper words of warning and to aid in the reformation of such as have gone astray.

When Worshipful Master Woodson took the gavel he called upon Bishop Dudley to offer prayer, which he did in a feeling manner. He then requested Sr. Warden Gray to explain the object of the new lodge, which he did in a very satisfactory way. He spoke of the number of persons who cannot attend night meetings for various reasons.

Some are obliged to work, others live out of the city so far that they cannot conveniently come in or stay in and other reasons influence some. Past Master J.T. Funk followed along the same lines and in addition, mentioned the interesting fact that the fine Bible upon the altar was a gift to the lodge from the wife of Worshipful Master Bro. Funk expressed gratification at the encouragement given the new lodge and returned thanks to all for the courtesies and favors and to the brethren in attendance for their presence.

Three petitions for initiation were received and referred. The next stated meeting of the lodge was fixed for January 30, 1904. A number of Committee a were appointed to draft By-Laws, arrange for permanent quarters, etc.

The regular business being ended, there were other addresses by Bishop Dudley, Dr. Powell, H.B. Grant and Charles A. Sommerville. As the time was limited the addresses were brief, but very much to the point. The opening meeting of Daylight Lodge was unanimously voted to be a great success and it is the general impression that it fills a want that is felt by many residents of the city and suburbs.

Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM was then chartered on October 18th, 1904. The Lodge has occupied several buildings in it's history, and currently meets at The Valley Masonic Building on the 2nd Saturday of every month.

Biography of our First Master
Bro. Isaac T. Woodson, Jr.
 

Date of Birth- December 16, 1872 in Woodsonville, KY.
1897- Received Blue Lodge degrees in Louisville Lodge #400
1898- Steward Louisville Lodge #400
1899- Jr. Deacon Louisville Lodge #400
1900- Sr. Deacon Louisville Lodge #400
1903- Demitted Louisville Lodge #400 December 7, 1903
1904- Installed as Master of Daylight Lodge U. D. in January 1904 later chartered on October 18th 1904 as Daylight Lodge #760

 
 
Isaac T. Woodson Jr. was President of the Woodson and Kratch Monument Co., which is still on East Broadway next to the Railroad overpass.

Brother Woodson received his Scottish Rite Degrees in November 1922. He became a Knight Commander of the Court of Honor in 1925. He received his 33rd Degree in 1929 and the Grand Cross in October 1935.

He served as Grand Master of the Grand Consistory of Kentucky A.A.S.R. from the late 1920's until his death in 1939. Brother Woodson also was Grand Master during the building of the Scottish Rite Temple and oversaw it's construction from 1930 to 1931.

A memorial service was held for him on January 1, 1940 under the direction of Brother John Henry Cowles 33 Degree, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Supreme Council 33 Degree A.A.S.R.

Bro. Richard Priest Dietzman 33

(PLEASE CLICK ON EACH IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW FULL SIZE)

Past Master- Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM

Past Grand Master- Grand Consistory of Kentucky A.A.S.R., 1922-1924

Past Grand Master- Grand Lodge of Kentucky F&AM, 1933-1934

 
Biography of Bro. William J. Netherton, P.P.
Past Master of Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM
1937
 

Illustrious William J. Netherton, P.P., was an avid Mason. He was active in many Masonic organizations and reached the pinnacle of success in most of them. He was a gentleman's gentleman and, although being a tough taskmaster, a thorough scholar of Masonry, and a good businessman, he was always on the side of progress and doing what was right to improve the fraternity. And he was a wonderful friend to all who knew him.

William Jefferson Netherton was born in the Worthington community in Northeast Jefferson County on March 2, 1898. He loved to tell the story of driving cattle from Worthington to the Bourbon Stockyards. That entailed a long journey down Highway 22, which in those days was a dirt road, but still took the meandering path the paved highway follows today.

"Bill," as best known to his friends, was a 1917 Louisville Male High School graduate. The University of Kentucky claimed him for two years, until he was inducted into the armed forces, serving until the Armistice of World War I. He left college and his beloved Sigma Nu fraternity to enter the real estate department of The Louisville Trust Company (now part of Bank One). He remained with the company until 1930 when he formed the Kesselring-Netherton Company, realtors and mortgage brokers. The firm was quite successful.

Bill's Masonic career was almost legendary. He received his Entered Apprentice Degree in Pewee Valley Lodge No. 829 in March 1919, and was raised in November of the same year. In 1934 he demitted to Daylight Lodge No. 760, and served as its Master in 1937.

He was exalted a Royal Arch Mason on May 17, 1926 in King Solomon Chapter No. 5 and was elected High Priest in August 1931. The Cryptic Rites were conferred on him in Louisville Council No. 4 on May 27. 1926 and he was elevated to the office Illustrious Master in 1933. In February 1934, he was dubbed and created a Knight Templar in Louisville-DeMolay Commandery No. 12, and was Commander in 1941.

Illustrious Brother Netherton was also active in the Louisville Scottish Rite Bodies and Kosair Shrine Temple. He became a 32 Scottish Rite Mason in May 1938. He was coroneted a 33 Mason on October 18, 1973. He crossed the hot sands of the Shrine in the Spring of 1938, and served as Potentate of Kosair Shrine Temple in 1951.

In 1945, Bill was initiated in Shrewsbury Priory No. 4, Knights of the York Cross of Honor, then demitted in order to found Kentucky Priory No. 25, being its first Eminent Prior in 1945. At the 119th Annual Assembly of the Grand Council of Kentucky, Royal and Select Masters, he was advanced to the office of Most Illustrious Grand Master.

One of his most prestigious honors was that of serving the Red Cross of Constantine locally as Sovereign in 1950, then enduring the long path to become Grand Sovereign of the nationwide organization in 1973. He was honored with the title of Knight Grand Cross in the Red Cross of Constantine.

Just a little thing that shows Bill's devotion to Masonry was that annually he conducted York Rite Christmas services in the basement of his home.

When he became Potentate of Kosair Shrine Temple, he said, "Let each of us highly resolve that for the year 1951 we will do everything possible to promote the interests of our Temple, and further, that we will do all that is becoming to men and Masons, so that in the end we may truly deserve the right to be called Shriners and Brothers."

Illustrious Brother Bill Netherton portrayed during his lifetime, in a very large degree, the kindly, helpful and dependable characteristics which made one proud to have called him Brother, Noble and Friend. His days were long, happy, friendly and productive. He passed away September 8. 1984.

 
Home Our Monthly Newsletter Officers Of The Lodge Our Past Masters Mason Widow Program Photo Gallery History of Daylight Lodge In Memoriam Our "Famous Mason" About Freemasonry The Structure of Masonry Famous Masons Kentucky Lodges Online Appendant Body Directory Our Award Gallery Recipients of our Award Masonic License Plates Grand Lodge Seals Masonic Webrings US Grand Lodge Directory American Pride Tribute September 11th Memorial Masonic Links of Interest U.S. Astronaut Memorial
 
Luxury watch collectors and horologists all agree that Breguet is the premier name in rolex replica sale. The company--started by a Polish Noblemen and his compatriot--has been around since 1839. It is almost 200 years old. Antoine rolex replica sale a new partner named Jean Adrien Philippe in 1851. This union launched the brand name as it stands today, Breguet. rolex replica sale are known as the most precise watches on the market. They have excellent engineering and design. The company only produces about 15,000 watches each year, but these breitling replica sale are always the best quality watches available. The replica watches at Fashion-replica.com look just as good as the original rolex replica sale. Breguet Watches are very attractive and beautiful and your replica watches uk should look exactly like this.